We’ve made it 10 days into 2017 and I’m feeling more refreshed than ever! There’s something about the new year that lights a spark in people, and I love watching that grow into flames of awesomeness (do people say that word still? Idk).
Either way, the beginning of the year is always the time where my motivation is thriving and no person or thing can tear me down. I’m serious, if someone told me right now to do the Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Challenge, I think I would currently be digging for my oldest t–shirt and taking my quite possibly past due jug of milk to my nearest location instead of writing this blog post, despite the fact that I hate hot wings (un-American blah, blah). My point is that I love the way I feel at this time of year—happy, confident, and ready to take on new challenges and adventures. However, I’ve noticed that those feelings start to diminish once February comes around and my ass–kicking New Year’s resolution motivation turns into a sad case of the winter blues. That’s why I’ve decided to make goals that focus on empowering myself rather than setting myself up for failure.
With that being said, below is a list of things I really want to focus on this year.
- Be present. I spend so much time focusing on what needs to be done in the future, that I forget to live in the present. Those times that we’re lost in the “next step” may be the most beautiful moments and we have absolutely no idea.
- Fight comparison. If I had a dollar for every time I compared myself to other people, I would be one rich b*tch. The fact of the matter is that it’s so toxic to think that way, people! It’s like your mom always told you, “no one can be a better you than you.” It’s exhausting to keep up with who is doing what, so take pride in the idea that you’re the best at something—being yourself. How cool?!
- Strive for healthy. I’m not going to pull a workout-five-days-a-week-while-cutting-out-carbs-and-sugar-and-anything-not-green, but I do want to spend more time working towards a healthier me. This includes exercising a few times a week, eating healthier rather than restricting my meals, and working towards keeping a peaceful mind and spirit.
- Worry less. I’m an avid worrier. I think way too much about what could go wrong than what could go right. Imagine how nice it would be to just let things play out how they’re supposed to? Every time I start to have a minor freak out about the future, I tell myself this: you’re exactly where you’re supposed to be in this moment. Calm down, and let yourself be guided to where you’re supposed to be. That little self-reassurance works better than you think. I promise.
- Do what makes me happy. HELLO! It’s time to stop pleasing others! I love to make others happy, but sometimes I forget to work myself into the mix. This year I want to forego the norm and live by my own standards in order to find true and unconditional happiness because I deserve that, and so do you. Don’t let anyone try and change your mind.
I’m so incredibly excited to see what this year has in store. 2017 is going to be a big year for me… I can feel it.